Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pizzelles!

When you mention pizzelles, you more than likely will get a favorable response. Everyone seems to love these traditional Italian cookies. Well, except me. Yes. I admit it. I do not like them. Don't you dare say I'm not a true Italian because I don't like them! I am just not an anise flavor lover!

My Dad, on the other hand, LOVES these so I make them for him. He did me a favor this morning and to show my appreciation, I made him a batch of his favorite cookies. Let me say that I don't particularly like making them. They are time consuming since you can only make two at a time and they make my house smell like anise...all day long! However, the look on my Dad's face when I told him they were for him, was well worth the time and smell.

The recipe below is for what I call a half batch of pizzelles. It makes about 5 dozen...which may seem like a lot but they go fast on a cookie tray at Christmas...so I double it at Christmas time.

Pizzelles

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 Tbsp. pure anise extract
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder

Directions:
1. Preheat your pizzelle iron according the the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in an electric mixer until they are fluffy. Add in the melted butter and anise extract.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
4. Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, a little at at time. The dough will be thick and sticky.
5.Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the heated iron. Close and cook for about 90 seconds until lightly browned, or until steam stops coming out of the pizzelle iron. Remove carefully from iron and set on paper towel to cool.
6. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. They also freeze well.

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen!

1 comment:

Dottie K said...

I add vanilla instead of the anise as there are some like you that don't like them because of the anise.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails