Sunday, September 21, 2008

Banana Foster French Toast!

There is a local restaurant chain around here called Eat'n Park. They have Bananas Foster French Toast. My Curtis LOVES it! I thought that I could probably figure it out. How hard could it be? Well. It wasn't. At all! Curtis claims that I hit the mark. Allison had it for the first time yesterday. She now claims she wants it for her birthday breakfast from now on too. Oh, it was Curtis' birthday yesterday. That's why I made it for him. He usually gets it on Father's Day and his birthday. If he wants it any other time, he needs to request it or bring a bunch of bananas home.

It's hard to tell in the picture but there is french toast under all those bananas. Curtis likes the bananas so I don't hold back. The syrup/sauce is also dark. This is because I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown. It's what I had on hand from sending him to the store one time and not specifying light. It works fine too. It's just a little darker, more flavorful and richer since it has more molasses in it.

I make the French toast as I normally would except I substitute a speciality bread. My favorite is Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread. The cinnamon and raisins would be good too. So that's it for the French toast part of it. What makes this dish special is what happens in a sauce pan.

Banana Foster French Toast

Ingredients
1 stick of butter
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
bananas (I use 1 for the sauce and 2 for on top of the french toast.)

Directions
~Make French toast as normal using a specialty bread such as a cinnamon swirl.
~In a small sauce pan on low melt the butter and add the brown sugar until the sugar crystals melt.
~Add the vanilla and cinnamon and stir occasionally to avoid burning.
~About three minutes before you are ready to serve, slice in one to two bananas into the sauce. They don't need to cook but just warm through.
~Place French toast on individual plates and slice more bananas on top. (As many as you like.)
~Drizzle with banana foster sauce. Use this sparingly as it is very sweet.
~Canned whipped cream would also be excellent on top!

If you think this may be too sweet for breakfast, another idea is to cut French toast into cubes. Place cubes and sliced bananas over vanilla ice cream, cover with warm sauce and top with whipped cream for warm fall dessert.

Thanks for visiting my kitchen!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails